Medical Records Technician
Medical Office Manager
If your busy life is keeping you from getting the degree you always wanted, Mitchell Tech has the answer! Enroll in our ONLINE Medical Office Professional program!
Completely ONLINE – no need to ever travel to campus (except for graduation)!
A skilled Medical Office Professional is an invaluable asset to any medical office, working effectively with medical professionals and patients while performing assorted office duties. With the number of healthcare procedures escalating every year as the population ages, there’s a high demand for skilled specialists in patient information technology and medical billing and reimbursement. Medical Office Professionals (MOP) are the experts on patient data that doctors, nurses and other providers rely on to perform their jobs.
Medical records and health information technology professionals can expect to be in high demand in the health sector during the next 20 to 30 years. In fact, the Bureau of Labor Statistics projects health information technology will be one of the 20 fastest growing occupations in the U.S.
Career opportunities in these areas include Medical Receptionist, Medical Records Clerk, Medical Information Management Clerk, Health Information Management, Medical Claims Clerk, Medical Claims Processor, Medical Claims Analyst and more.
No tuition difference between online and traditional classroom delivery—no hidden fees!
This program is eligible for federal financial aid.
Mitchell Technical College participates in the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements.
All students accepted to the ONLINE Medical Office Professional program must submit to a criminal background check at the student’s expense. Mitchell Technical College has partnered with CastleBranch to complete your background check. You will need to create a username and password. Details are available from the Admissions office. Please click here to begin the process.
PROGRAM GRADUATION REQUIREMENTS
Students must earn a grade of C or higher in all technical courses as a prerequisite to MOP 290. Students must earn a grade of C (2.0) or higher in their clinical internship in order to graduate. Students must also complete a basic life support course (CPR/First Aid) and provide proof of certification in order to graduate.
Computer and Internet access required. (Your computer will have to meet our specifications to assure your operating system and software are current and compatible.)
- Manage front office duties such as reception, record maintenance and bookkeeping.
- Competently use medical terminology required in medical correspondence, preparing forms, documents, and transcribed material.
- Correctly use software applications to manage records and data electronically.
- Demonstrate proficiency in computerized billing by entering and/or processing medical insurance claims.
- Accurately convert diagnoses, injury and procedure descriptions documented in patient records into numeric or alphanumeric codes using coding manuals (CPT and ICD-10-CM).
- Analyze patient charts to assign codes that ensure the healthcare provider is properly reimbursed for services.
- Demonstrate effective communication and interpersonal skills when working with clients, coworkers, and physicians.
- Demonstrate a thorough understanding of the legal and ethical standards and dilemmas facing the medical profession.
- Interpret dictation completely and accurately using skills of listening, comprehension, editing, and clarifying with the ability to identify inconsistencies.